Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sandeep Shrivastwa



A DAY IN THE LIFE OF DR ALAN

He wakes up around six. A small prayer of thanks giving, sitting in the bed. Thanking God for everything in life, till that moment. Asking God for continued help. And asking Him to heal his patients.
Some 10 minutes of exercise. At the clinic at Orlem, Malad East, Mumbai, around 7.45 a.m. See patients till 1.30 in the afternoon. But during pandemic, till 3 p.m. After lunch, writing letters, sending e-mails, phone calls. Back at the clinic around 5 p.m. and work till 11p.m. But during pandemic, do not leave before midnight.
Every alternate Sunday, get up at five and leave at six for the Adivasi Service Project Free Clinic, 125 km. away from Mumbai. At the clinic from 9 a.m. to 12 pm, and return by 4 p.m. for the evening church service. Usually sleeps 4 to 5 hours a day.

‘‘My aim as a doctor is to help as many sick people as possible, relieve them of their pain and anguish. I enjoy helping the poor, though there is little money. I would go out of my way to help a poor patient than a rich patient who can afford the best of medical treatment. I enjoy working in the Adivasi free clinic in Talwada, and the Free Prayatna Clinic in our church every Thursday afternoon.
‘‘The greatest achievement of my life is that I could execute my service projects without break. Help from friends, old and new, has been overwhelming.
‘‘My role model is Jesus Christ whose immense humility, suffering, hard work and selflessness in healing the sick, poor and suffering has motivated me to follow His footsteps.

‘‘My LORD has said: ‘Whatever you have done to the least of my brethren, you have done unto me’. ‘‘My life has been fruitful by God's grace. At 60, I enjoy good health but swallow 25mgs. of Losartan every day to prevent my B.P. going up. I walk from Mumbai to Shirdi every year, covering some 280 km. And I have been doing it for the last 18 years. The six days of climbing the Kasara ghats on the way is a blessing in disguise. My Mom is 83 years old, and does not touch medicine; she goes to church on her own every day. ‘‘My wife Dr Shobha, and our son Dr. Dennis and daughter-in-law Sumi help me. Our grandchildren Jasmine (6) and Alisha (2 months) are a blessing. My daughter Dr. Lisa and son-in-law Vinod with their son Aryan (2) are settled in Kansas, USA. WHAT MORE DO I WANT FROM GOD!’’

3 comments:

  1. well sandeep, i don't know where you got the story from, if you spent a lot of time to write/rewrite the story or not? But i must say that this is a great story. As a journalist we need to have nose for news, a powerful nose that smells stories and at times smokes out stories out of the mindless crowd, devastated rubble and stuffs like that.If its a good story, it can always be rewritten and given the treatment.

    My congratulations to you for putting up a good one. The scope of improving your presentation however remains there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS SO MUCH FOR BRINGING OUT THE REAL HEROES' STORIES...PERSONS ALWAYS IN D SERVICE OF THE NEEDY ARE NOT PERSONS BUT "GREAT THEORIES". GOOD JOB...WILL WAIT FOR YOUR NEXT STORY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see a beautiful piece of work here. I think I have talked to this writer smwhr in Ranchi last December in Intercity Express..I can tell U about similar stories in Jharkhand also. Anyways..well done sandeep. waiting 4 ur response at apathak79@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete